Headquarters: Carlsbad, CA
Description At Planning Center, we build powerful web and mobile applications for churches. Each of our eight products has a dedicated team of designers and developers committed to refining and expanding that product in response to real customer needs. Our customers include over 90 of the 100 largest churches in the country, and tens of thousands of small community churches. We strive to make day-to-day operations easier for all of them.
We’re a development driven company, founded and led by a developer. Over half our staff are either devs or designers who code! We’re seeking another developer with expertise in Ruby, Rails, and React to help make our software even better.
In your daily life at Planning Center, you can expect to:
- Take ownership of your projects, shaping what we’ll build and how we’ll build it
- Collaborate with your product manager, front-end designer, and fellow team developers.
- Engage in a healthy culture of code reviewing and pairing alongside a team of smart, thoughtful, like-minded developers.
Developers at Planning Center are:
- Invested. We care about the products we create and the people we create them for, and we all contribute to the vision and direction of our products. Every one of our developers is critical to their team.
- Curious. We aren’t afraid to ask questions, experiment, and iterate. We also love playing with fun new technologies & processes, and we take time every few months to do just that.
- Humble. We are always looking for opportunities to grow and learn from one another.
We believe the strongest teams are made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating that diversity here at Planning Center. We are ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do your best work.
Where we work:
Planning Center is a company of about 100 people in total. About 70 of us are spread across the US in home offices and coworking spaces. Although we have an office building in Carlsbad, California (near San Diego) our work culture is optimized for our distributed teams. We rely heavily on tools like Slack, Basecamp, and video conferencing throughout the day. A few times a year we gather together for team retreats.
When and how we work:
Planning Center is serious about work-life balance. We take meaningful steps to avoid burnout and it’s the main reason we have an absurdly low employee turnover across the entire company. We avoid deploying on Fridays, we mute Slack notifications on the weekends, we don’t feel guilty about vacations or sabbaticals, and we trust people with their time.
What to expect if you apply:
Here’s what the application process looks like:
- Submit your application by September 19, 2021.
- You’ll be asked to complete a coding challenge to assess your technical skills and background.
- We’ll have a followup video call with a developer or two from our team where we’ll discuss your code submission and get to know each other a bit.
- Next is another technical exercise with the product team that you’ll be working with. Here we’ll work through some bugs and features on a toy app that resembles our stack and the kinds of problems we typically work on.
- A call with our co-founders and leadership team where you’ll be able to learn about our vision and values as well as ask any questions you may have for them. We know that a new job is a big leap and we want you to be as comfortable as possible!
- It’s offer time! Throughout all the previous steps, your expertise and experience have been assessed against our well defined developer levels and the salary amount of the offer will be decided solely based on that assessment. At Planning Center, every developer of the same skill level makes the same amount (plus a small bonus for seniority). We aim to pay at the 90th percentile for each level based on research from Payscale.
- Start Date: We are hoping for you to start on September 7th, but are flexible for the right person!
- Eligible to work in the United States.
- Must be willing to travel four times each year to connect with the rest of the team in person, but not during a pandemic.
- Proven experience as a full stack developer (or similar role) using Ruby, Rails, and React.
We love our people and want this to be the best place for them to work. In addition to a competitive salary (starting between $100,000 – $150,000 depending on expertise), we offer:
- Full health, dental, and vision coverage
- Company contribution to a 401(k)
- Mobile phone stipend
- Co-working stipend
- Health stipend for counseling or a gym membership
- Charitable giving match
- Paid maternity, paternity, or bonding leave
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Paid Fridays off in the summer
- Continual education allowance for books, videos, or conferences
We’ll provide all the things you need to get your job done. That includes a laptop, monitor, standing desk, and chair.
Work from Anywhere in the USA
We are dedicated to hiring the best talent available; part of working at Planning Center is the option to work remote! We fly our remote team into the office once every quarter, so you can enjoy the nice California weather and connect with the rest of the team (70% of which is remote).
If you’ve applied in the past, feel free to apply again!